If you'd like a review, please send an email with your artist name, song/EP/album name, genre and a please to SkinnyJeansReviews@gmail.com

I'm only a one man show, so patience is appreciated when waiting for your reviews. Thanks.

Check out my band too! https://www.facebook.com/#!/BearsInTransylvania

-Harry Loker

Thursday 18 September 2014

Silver Spark - Flames Run Deep

Track Listing:

1. Dangerous Game
2. Light The Fuse
3. Coming Home
4. Smokin' Gun
5. Before The Shadows Play
6. One Way Street
7. By The Fireplace
8. Something About You
9. Don't Bring Me Down
10. The Thief

For a female fronted band to have as much maturity as this band is a unique things. Their opening track, 'Dangerous Game' is pleasingly simple to listen to and the verses guitar tone is lovely - a series of complex, caressing guitar licks accompany overdubbed vocals that constantly promise to jump up and down in pitch at the drop of a hat. Vocals sound mature and capable and are a world away from the works of other modern female artists (Hayley Williams, Taylor Momsen etc) and whether this is to your tastes or not is not for me to decide.

The styling of guitar is something I particluarly enjoy - chords are complex and easy on the ear. Distortion is given out but in minimal measures - the band are comfortable to rely on vocals to hold the song together, and when the overdrive pedal is pressed on a very 'classic rock' sound is acheived.
I find that at times the album becomes repetitive - the tone and feel of the album changes very little throughout; this may be simply because its not something I would normally choose to listen to.
The opening of 'Before The Shadows Play' is a refreshing wave of calm after the blues rock tidal wave that has come before and I was left wanting more when the rest of the band joined in on the line 'I just needed to breathe.....'. A chorus and then once again the band resumes its new, quieter, feel. While the guitar sounds good - either very slightly modulated or very well double tracked - the bass is far too quiet and this is a characteristic that defines the EP as a whole.

Drums sound.. strange, on this EP. They are quiet, as far as drums go - perhaps recorded on an electric kit, I'm not sure. Whilst normally I would not enjoy this (I'm usually a 'noise, noise noise!) sort of guy - always add more crash cymbals!) the use of a more subdued approach here works well for the 'blues rock' feel of the band, but this is not to say I wouldn't like to hear more of him - complex drum fills are rare and in a manner thats all too reminding of Snow Patrol, Hewittson seems happy to simply create a beat that works for the song and stick with it for the next 3 minutes.
I'm trying to find something to comment on about the bass but I'm really struggling because for the most part, I simply can't hear it. Something needs to be done about this. For a blues rock band, groovy bass is essential, and I'm sorry to say it but Silver Spark are almost completely lacking.

Listening to the EP, I was constantly waiting for a track that revolved around a Piano/Keyboard styled instrument - the genre of the band, and the style of vocals, seem perfect for such an experiment. Phillip's emotional vocals could be easily complimented by some meaningful (and not necessarily complex to play) chords on an electric keyboard.
Mixing is good - the use of a 'telephone' effect on the vocals in the verses, most prominently the first, of 'Smokin' Gun' sounds great.
Perhaps its the blues feel of the band coming through which I'm not accustomed to, but I can't help but feel that the EP has a 'cheesy' feel about it. The vocals in times are overbearingly emotional and the styling of the songs never changes, this removes some of the authenticity of the work the band has evidently put into their work; experimentation with different genres, time signatures, tones are simply not there.

One thing I must complain about - the band seem very orientated about their frontwoman, Carley Phillips. Capable as she is - and do not doubt that she is capable! - She seems to dominate the other members - to the point where a picture of her is the profile picture of the band, and a few of their previous ones are also solely her. Let the other members, shine Carley! Your a team, after all.

To sum up, I think this is an EP that's only halfway there. The vocals, and bits of the guitar is all present, but the drums and bass are nowhere to be found, and I feel that the band try to cover this up with the other instruments. I hope my critisism helps the band come back and smash it the second time round, because this could become something really exciting!
5/10

Harry Loker
-https://www.facebook.com/BearsInTransylvania?ref=hl

No comments:

Post a Comment