If you'd like a review, please send an email with your artist name, song/EP/album name, genre and a please to SkinnyJeansReviews@gmail.com

I'm only a one man show, so patience is appreciated when waiting for your reviews. Thanks.

Check out my band too! https://www.facebook.com/#!/BearsInTransylvania

-Harry Loker

Thursday 18 September 2014

Best Of Enemies - Stay Young, Trust Me

18/09/14
Track Listing:

1. Your A Good Mate, Really
2. Ignorance Is Bliss
3. Hopes And Dreams
4. Wasting Away

Immediately, almost as soon as the first few chords have rung out, I've decided that I like this band. They sound like something that people who, like me, enjoy the likes of Lower Than Atlantis and Gnarwolves, would enjoy listening to, and they have a professional enough recording to make it sound more than legitimate. Back this with the competent songwriting and lyrical ability and you've got a cocktail for success.

One thing that strikes me is the lyrics - they sound developed and worked over, and deliver real emotion. The words - and the singing itself - is pure Mike Duce (frontman, Lower Than Atlantis) but before he turned into an arsehole. (This house is falling apart, just like the family that once lived inside/things are how they used to be/your not on X factor, don't want to hear your soap story again)
The band fit in well with the genre that they claim to be and their image works well. Aiding this is strong backing vocals - I'm not sure if sung by the main singer in production or if by another member of the band.

The guitar lets down the track a little. It needs the treble turning down to stop it peircing my eardrums - the moderately distorted, none stop barrage of chords that drive the songs are in places a little incessant and it would only take minor tweaks to tone to stop them being so piercing. I imagine this tone is coming from the untamed bridge pickup of a Tele or Strat's single coil pickup.
This being said, it does sonnd good otherwise and in other places the band prove that they can write guitar that need not be non stop - in places it slows, and a melodic tune is strummed out; a brief respite from the action.

Track 3, 'Hopes And Dreams', opens with a guitar riff not too disimilar to Lower Than Atlantis' newest track, 'Emily' - except this one doesn't degenerate into a steaming slagpile of crap when the rest of the band join - it nearly does the opposite. The lyrics are poignant and hit home (I've been living on my hands and knees, since I was only 16, and thats not how its meant to be) and a quiet lead guitar in the chorus adds flavour; later on, this same riff develops into a solo in the bridge. Whilst lacking in technical ability, it works well. (Look at wonderwall, its like 3 chords)
The band cleverly incorporate acoustic guitar into parts of the EP, usually very quietly behind the rest of the track, the twang of the strings really helps back up the leading electric guitars. Its not loud enough to be head unless your really paying attention, and it works well.

The final track, 'Wasting Away' once agains opens with guitars but this time they are a little more tames and I really enjoy the use of the second guitar that joins at 0.11; it use of delay/reverb is exemplary. Lyrics once again shine, describing what I can relate to - a music festival - with efficiency (thinking back to this summer, when I had a beer in hand, I was watching my favourite bands/I spent five days, drinking with my friends in our tent/it was time well spent). They continue to mourn the loss of their youth and this really strikes a chord inside me. Whilst the chords used in the song are major, the message sent is mixed - time is good, but short. The aforementioned acoustic guitar used in this song adds to the sombre feel well; it is clever how they manipulate emotions to feel both happy and sad in a manner that would make Orwell proud.

I seriously, seriously really like this band. I'm sure I'll be giving them another listen in the future and I hope you do too.
Nice work lads, send me anything else you record!
9/10


Check them out at: http://bestofenemiesuk.bandcamp.com/album/stay-young-trust-me
Their music can be bought from that above link for a mere 99p! Like a McFlurry, but much better..
And check them out on Facebook too at: https://www.facebook.com/#!/bestofenemiesband?fref=ts

Harry Loker
Guitarist and Vocalist at Bears In Transylvania (https://www.facebook.com/BearsInTransylvania?ref=hl)

No comments:

Post a Comment