If you'd like a review, please send an email with your artist name, song/EP/album name, genre and a please to SkinnyJeansReviews@gmail.com

I'm only a one man show, so patience is appreciated when waiting for your reviews. Thanks.

Check out my band too! https://www.facebook.com/#!/BearsInTransylvania

-Harry Loker

Wednesday 17 September 2014

Goodbye The Sunset - Minus The Murder From The Scene


17/09/14

First of all, apologies if I got the name of this song wrong - I wasn't sure if it was supposed to have the word Radio in brackets at the end or if that was part of the file name. So, it may be called 'Minus The Murder From The Scene (Radio). Your guess is as good as mine, reader - pick whichever you prefer!

Opening with a guitar riff that reminds me of Blink-182's cover of 'Another Girl Another Planet', the bands guitar give a reasonably cheerful and happy atmosphere. This is contrasted with the vocals - which seem suitably sombre and refreshing. The singer could be criticised for making little effort to leave his vocal comfort zone - not to say he isn't good at it, but I would have liked to hear more from him. Saying that, I was only sent one song, so I may soon stand corrected.
His lyrics are compelling - sitting in the zone where they could comfortably apply to both everyone and noone at the same time (He won't win the fight/we all fall down sometimes/when the sky falls down, I will hold your hand). I enjoy his use of imagery.
I must point out that the guitar in what I beleive is the pre chorus and the chorus to be repetitive. It works - but it could be made better by adding different octaves or variations of chords rather than repeating the same 3 or 4 notes. That being said, the tone of the guitar - especially on the string bends - is nice.
The bass is annoyingly happy to sit underneath the other instruments. Please feel confident to not follow the other instruments as strictly as you do - make some groovy basslines and boost your volume to let them shine!
The song follows a generic structure, with a softer chorus and verse towards the end - not something to be criticised, yet not something to be praised either. However the song ends well, with all instruments ceasing quite quickly in a pleasing manner.
Nice work. 6/10

Harry Loker
https://www.facebook.com/#!/BearsInTransylvania

No comments:

Post a Comment